Did you know this about SWAT?
Each year, the South West Association of Turners (SWAT) holds one of the largest woodturning symposiums in the world. In 2019, over 1000 attendees enjoyed this outstanding event in Waco, Texas.
SWAT is an all-volunteer non-profit organization which allows the price to remain affordably low. The Symposium features demonstrations from nationally and internationally recognized turners, as well as outstanding regional turners selected from participating clubs and across the country.
The 2020 Symposium will be held 28-30 August at the Waco Convention Center, 100 Washington Ave, Waco, Texas. The SWAT Symposium will offer something for every level of wood turner and their spouse.
The Symposium features:
1. An Art Gallery where attendees may display up to 10 art pieces of their work (Some will be for sale). This Art Gallery is open to the public.
2. The opening ceremony will introduce the volunteers & demonstrators and will conduct the first part of a 3-for-1 Raffle (3-for-1 Raffle is open to registered participants only, and you must be present to win) for a tools and art work throughout the weekend. The Raffle on Friday morning will be for a midi-lathe and a scholarship to Arrowmont. The SWAT banquet on Saturday night is highlighted with the second part of the 3-for-1 Raffle, as well as, an auction, both for beautiful turned art pieces.
3. The third drawing will be held on Sunday at lunch. All tickets drawn at each earlier drawing (Friday and Saturday) are returned to the bin prior to the next drawing, earning the Three-for-One name. During this final drawing, the prizes will consist of several midi-lathes, a large assortment of woodturning tools & accessories and finally a full-sized lathe.
4. There will be a myriad of vendors on site selling equipment and supplies at very competitive prices.
5. Lunches are provided during the three-day event for paid attendees.
6. In addition to the many woodturning demonstrations, Special Interest Group sessions or presentations for Women in Turning, World of Woodturners, Turners-to-Go and Beads of Courage are planned.
7. There will be several areas to offer hands-on opportunities to turn something of choice, turn a pen, or sharpen a tool. It is a good opportunity for some one-on-one coaching from highly trained turners.
8. Bring your spouse. SWAT will have a full schedule of activities and special classes designed for the non-turning spouse.
We hope to see you in Waco!!!
Henry Pennell, SWAT President 2020
Eating at SWAT is a second runner-up to the demonstrations and the raffle.